Monday, April 25, 2011

Dropbox

Being that I'm a computer technician, I will occasionally post about other things that I think will help people.  Have you ever deleted a file, had a computer crash, or misplaced an important file?  These can be things from documents, pictures, videos, and any other irreplaceable file.  In the past I have always backed up my files to flash drives or blank CD/DVD media.  The problem with that is that if you lose the CD or you accidentally delete the file off of your flash drive, it is lost for good.

Now your option after losing these files is pretty much to recreate the file, but without a time machine it's hard to make someone a baby again just to get pictures of the first time walking.

This is where Dropbox comes into play.  Dropbox is a free online storage "folder".  When you sign up you get 2 gigabytes of free storage.  You can and should install the Dropbox application on your PC and put a shortcut on your desktop.  Any time you add, delete, or change files in the Dropbox folder they will be uploaded to Dropbox's servers.  What this means for you is that you can sleep worry-free that you aren't going to lose your files.

My favorite part of Dropbox is that if you delete a file, you can log into the website and restore the file up to a few weeks after you deleted it.  It's worth giving a shot because you never know when your hard drive might fail.

If you decide to sign up for Dropbox, I would appreciate it if you use my referral link, http://db.tt/S78Npjm , this link may look malicious but it is just shortened for ease of use.  If you use this link, you will get an extra 250 megabytes of storage and so will I!

Good luck and may your data be safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment